Cinnamon is greatly pungent spices that are obtained from the bark of the cinnamon trees. They are mostly found in China, Vietnam, Indonesia and Sri Lanka. It is a very scrumptious spice and obtained several medicinal and curative properties for different health related issues. It tastes initially sweet but it’s after effects are very spicy and sourly. Cinnamon is also known as ‘Dalchini’. Dalchini is the second most popular spice in almost all the countries in the world after black pepper. As cinnamon has many health benefits, it is also used as a home remedy for arthritis and cold. It can also be consumed by pregnant women all over the world. It is also an issue and debate that consuming cinnamon is safe during this perceptive stage of women’s life.
There are different types of cinnamon found across the world, but 2 are most commonly used. They are:-
- i) Cassia Cinnamon – It is in the form of thicker roll bars tied together. They are commonly found in South East Asia and it is mostly sold in the USA.
- ii) Ceylon Cinnamon – This type of cinnamon is usually minor, denser and crumbling looking and present in Sri Lanka. It is commonly known as ‘true cinnamon’.
How is Cinnamon consumption safe for the women who are pregnant?
Cinnamon is used to amplify the taste and spice level of the food and it also contains many nutrients. It possesses anti-viral, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties and most of the people consume it, as an effective home remedy for their various health associated issues. Women during pregnancy are recommended to take small amounts of cinnamon tea to prevent from cough, flu, sore throat, cold and nausea. Besides this, many doctors recommend consuming Dalchini during this phase to treat and overcome the problem of appetite loss and control level of cholesterol.
Physical Health Benefits of Cinnamon Tea for Pregnant Women:-
Following are some of the major health benefits and advantages of drinking cinnamon tea during the stage of pregnancy:-
1) Diabetes Gestational:-
Cinnamon tea possesses vigorous ingredients that are cooperative in regulating blood sugar intensity. When cinnamon tea is consumed by pregnant women in low amounts along with food, it can manage the blood sugar level in women who suffer from gestational diabetes.
2) Acts as a Natural Antioxidant:-
Cinnamon is a very precious herb as it is rich in antioxidants like polyphenols (3,4,5). As cinnamon tea contains antioxidants, it supports the battle against free fundamental damage to the human body and promotes better health conditions for women. This tea also plays a significant role in combating off infections that are caused by bacteria and fungus.
3) Acts as an Inflammatory Agent:-
Anti-inflammatory properties are not found in all the types of cinnamon. It is only found in ‘Cassia Cinnamon’. This cinnamon helps to fight inflammation causing agents present in the body, especially in the stomach. When Cassia cinnamon tea is taken along with food, it eradicates joint pains, reduces body inflammation and gives ultimate relief.
4) Helps in Lowering Blood Pressure:-
Blood pressure is a very common illness possessed by the people all around the globe. By frequently consuming cinnamon tea alone or along with food aids in examining systolic blood pressure that is very effective in reducing blood pressure issues in pregnant women. Cinnamon tea also supports in declining the risk of preeclampsia during pregnancy.
5) Nutritional Benefits:-
Cinnamon as well as cinnamon tea possesses a massive amount of carbohydrates and inundated fatty acids. It also possesses Vitamin C and E along with niacin, pyridoxine, choline and pantothenic acid. Cinnamon tea also contains traces of minerals which includes magnesium, calcium, sodium, iron, phosphorus, manganese and zinc.
How much Quantity of Cinnamon and Cinnamon Tea is Appropriate during Pregnancy:-
It is not appropriate for pregnant women to take a huge amount of cinnamon tea in this phase of life on a regular basis. A pinch of 1 gram or a half teaspoon of cinnamon is advised during pregnancy.
Several Ways to Consume Cinnamon:-
As discussed, a high amount of consuming cinnamon is not favorable especially for pregnant women. But can be consumed in following ways:-
- Cinnamon is used to add up spice in foods to elevate its flavor and taste.
- Cinnamon tea can be consumed but not on a daily basis to amplify mouth’s taste.
- Pinch of cinnamon powder can be used for seasoning and decorating cakes, pastries, donuts etc.
Precautions while Consuming Cinnamon:-
Following are some of the precautionary ways while taking cinnamon:-
- If a pregnant woman is highly at a threat of miscarriage then strictly avoid using cinnamon.
- Don’t consume if you are allergic to cinnamon.
- Purchase the best quality of cinnamon powder or bundle of sticks from the market to avoid any harmful effects.
- Those pregnant women, who have obstetric disorders, must not consume it.
- Evade cinnamon oil throughout the phase of pregnancy as its dosage is unknown. High dosage leads to burning sensation. There are also chances that these toxicities pass on to the baby.
In short, we can say that cinnamon is nature’s reward to all of us, in the form of delectable scented spice. Chewing its bark can prevent various health related issues. Specifically in the stage of pregnancy, when women are on a heavy dosage of medicines, cinnamon comes to rescue their health. The potential health benefits of cinnamon and cinnamon tea can encourage a healthy pregnancy. But it is significantly important to use and consume the utmost quality of cinnamon to save yourselves from any irrelevant harm and damage to your body.